sábado, 21 de septiembre de 2024

"Maya Angelou: the complete poetry" de Maya Angelou


Título: Maya Angelou: the complete poetry
Autor: Maya Angelou
Serie: -
Género: Poesía
Editorial: Virago
Páginas: 337

From her reflections on African American life and hardship in Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water 'fore I Diiie to her revolutionary celebrations of womanhood in Phenomenal Woman and Still I Rise, and her elegant tributes to dignitaries Bill Clinton and Nelson Mandela (On the Pulse of Morning and His Day Is Done, respectively), every inspiring word of Maya Angelou's poetry is included in the pages of this volume.

Valoración: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

No soy de poesía, no me gusta ni la entiendo. Y si no lo hago en español, mucho menos lo voy a entender en inglés. O eso pensaba. Hace años, por estos mundos de internet, llegué a este vídeo donde Maya Angelou recita uno de sus más famosos poemas "Still I rise"


Y me enamoré. Me encanta esta mujer y después de mucho tiempo por fin me he encontrado con ánimo para leer un libro completo de sus poesías, aunque las entienda poco.

Es increíble lo que transmite esta poetisa moderna, una poesía reivindicativa de los derechos de los negros, de la libertad, de la mujer, de la paz. Una poesía que a veces es beligerante y a veces pacifista, que bebe del pasado de esclavitud del pueblo afroamericano, de su presente (entonces y aún ahora) de discriminación, pero con un toque de esperanza, de saber que al final todos encontraremos nuestro lugar.

Como os decía entiendo poco, más bien nada, de poesía. Pero aquí os dejo unos extractos de sus poemas y la transcripción del poema del vídeo, que aunque sean en inglés, os muestran un botón de la gracia de esta mujer. 

<<And now I’ll tell you my Golden Rule, 
I was born to work but I ain’t no mule. 
I was born to work up to my grave 
But I was not born To be a slave.>>

<<I note the obvious differences 
between each sort and type, 
but we are more alike, my friends, 
than we are unalike.>>

<<We, Angels and Mortals, Believers and Nonbelievers, 
Look heavenward and speak the word aloud.
Peace. We look at our world and speak the 
word aloud. 
Peace. We look at each other, then into 
ourselves, 
And we say without shyness or apology or 
hesitation: 
Peace, My Brother. 
Peace, My Sister. 
Peace, My Soul.>>

STILL I RISE 

You may write me down in history 
With your bitter, twisted lies, 
You may trod me in the very dirt 
But still, like dust, I’ll rise. 

Does my sassiness upset you? 
Why are you beset with gloom? 
’Cause I walk like I’ve got oil wells 
Pumping in my living room. 

Just like moons and like suns, 
With the certainty of tides, 
Just like hopes springing high, 
Still I’ll rise. 

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes? 
Shoulders falling down like teardrops, 
Weakened by my soulful cries? 

Does my haughtiness offend you? 
Don’t you take it awful hard 
’Cause I laugh like I’ve got gold mines 
Diggin’ in my own backyard. 

You may shoot me with your words, 
You may cut me with your eyes, 
You may kill me with your hatefulness, 
But still, like air, I’ll rise. 

Does my sexiness upset you? 
Does it come as a surprise 
That I dance like I’ve got diamonds 
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame 
I rise 
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain 
I rise 
I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide, 
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide. 

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear 
I rise 
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear 
I rise 
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, 
I am the dream and the hope of the slave. 
I rise 
I rise 
I rise.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario